(Fri Jan 28, 2011)
Who We Are
The Fire Prevention Bureau of the Borough of Closter is a part time operation with four inspectors on staff. As a borough department reporting to our mayor/council, our responsibilities include the following:
- Enforcement of the NJ Uniform Fire Code where applicable and/or required within the borough.
- Investigate all complaints regarding fire code violations and life safety concerns.
- Coordinate investigation of all serious fires within the borough.
- Provide fire safety information to borough residents
- Conduct required residential smoke and carbon monoxide detector inspections for all home sales.
- Review construction plans and provide input to other borough agencies responsible for final approval.
Smoke Detector Inspections
As required under the NJ Uniform Fire Code, all residential home sales in the State of NJ require a smoke and carbon monoxide detector inspection prior to the closing.
This agency is responsible for these inspections in the Borough of Closter. Inspections are conducted only on Saturday mornings. All requests must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance.
A fee of $50.00 is due upon completion of the inspection. All checks or money orders shall be made payable to the "Borough of Closter"
Inspection requests can be made by calling 201-768-3698 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation
The bureau operates on a part time basis with office hours available each Saturday morning. All individuals with inquires or fire code complaints are asked to call 201-768-3698.
Please leave a message on our voice mail. An inspector will normally return your call within 24 hours when possible.
Carbon Monoxide Risks and Precautions Notice from Orange and Rockland Electric Company (pdf)
Fire and Safety Tips to Avoid Burns (pdf)